Want to lose weight? this weight loss calculator will you determine how many calories you should eat to reach your weight goal.
In particular, the calculator lets you indicate how much you want to weight (weight goal), and when you want to achieve such goal (time goal).
Results appear automatically showing:
- Calories variation: How many more or less calories you need to eat daily to achieve your weight goal.
- Total calories: How many calories you need to eat daily overall to achieve your weight goal.
This tool is based on the assumption that one pound of human fat tissue contains about 3,500 kilocalories. Thus, eating 500 fewer calories per day should result in a loss of about a pound per week. Similarly, for every 3500 calories consumed above the amount one needs, a pound will be gained.
To determine the minimum amount of energy required to maintain the body current weight this calculator determines the body metabolism rate and multiplies it by a number that corresponds to the individual's activity level.
The BMR is estimated according to the Mifflin – St Jeor equation as follows:
- Men: BMR = 10 × weight (kg) + 6.25 × height (cm) – 5 × age (y) + 5
- Women: BMR = 10 × weight (kg) + 6.25 × height (cm) – 5 × age (y) – 161
The estimated BMR value is multiplied by a number that corresponds to the individual's activity level:
- Sedentary: Little to no exercise
- Lightly active: Light exercise (1-3 days per week).
- Moderately active: Moderate exercise (3-5 days per week).
- Very active: Heavy exercise (6-7 days per week).
- Extra active: Very heavy exercise (twice per day)
- Select the unit system.
- Enter your gender, level of phisical activity, age, current weight and height.
- Enter your desired weight (weight goal) and when you want to achieve it (time goal).
- The results will appear automatically below, expressed in Kilocalories per day.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Licence.