This world time calculator allows you to know the current time in the main cities of the world, as well as the time difference with respect to the UTC time (Universal Coordinated Time).
The time is shown taking into account the possible daylight saving time (summer time), in case it is being applied.
Coordinated Universal Time or UTC
Universal coordinated time or UTC is the main standard of time in the world.
For most purposes, the UTC time can be considered the equivalent of GMT (Greenwich Mean Time or Greenwich Mean Time).
To express the time of a certain zone, it is necessary to add to the expression “UTC” the time difference between said zone and the UTC time, with sign + or -, as appropriate.
For example, the time in Jakarta (Indonesia) is represented as UTC + 07:00, which means 7 more hours in Jakarta compared to the UTC time.
Local hours range from UTC -12: 00 to UTC +12: 00.
The differences between consecutive time zones are usually 1 hour, but in some cases they are 30 minutes or even 45 minutes.
Daylight Saving Time (Summer Time)
Daylight saving time (abbreviated DST), often referred to as daylight savings time in the USA, and known as summer time in some countries, is the practice of advancing clocks during summer months so that evening daylight lasts longer, while sacrificing normal sunrise times. Typically, regions that use daylight saving time adjust clocks forward one hour close to the start of spring and adjust them backward in the autumn to standard time.
In the tropics (near the Ecuador) summer time does not apply because the length of the days does not vary so much as to justify that time change.
Some time zones have their own name and abbreviation. Here are some of the main time zones of the earth, and their difference with respect to the UTC time:
- HST Hawaian Standard Time UTC -10: 00
- AKST Alaska Standard Time UTC -9: 00
- PST Pacific Standard Time UTC -8: 00
- MST Mountain Standard Time UTC -7: 00
- CST Central Standard Time UTC -6: 00
- EST Eastern Standard Time UTC -5: 00
- AST Atlantic Standard Time UTC -4: 00
- NST Newfoundland Standard Time UTC -3: 30
- WET / UTC Western European Time +01: 00
- CET Central European Time +02: 00
- MSK Moscow Time UTC +03: 00
- AWST Australian Western Standard Time UTC +8: 00
- ACST Australian Central Standard Time UTC +9: 30
- AEST Australian Eastern Standard Time UTC +10: 00
- Select the city whose time you want to know.
- Choose in what format you want the time to be displayed: AM / PM or 24 hours.
- The results appear below automatically with the following information:
- Current local time, taking into account the possible summer time in force. IMPORTANT: The time is not updated if you do not click on “Update”.
- Time zone, showing the time difference with respect to the UTC (GMT) time.
- Information about whether a summer time exists and applies.
- “Not observed” means that, throughout the year, summer time is not applied at any time.
- “Active” means that summer time is applied and it is currently in force.
- “Not Started / Over” means that there is a summer time, but it has not yet started or it has already ended.
Text available under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Licence.